Sunday, June 26, 2011

Berry Picking...and Baking!

Ok so as most of you know by now, I work the night shift at a hospital (7p-7a). Starting around 11pm, I get extremely bored and need to keep myself busy to stay awake. This is when I like to catch up on all your blogs and what you all are up to...

In searching for new recipes to try, I have discovered that I love any food that has berries in it. They are probably my favorite fruit and they just taste so good in pretty much anything!

So today, after catching up on some sleep, my mom and I wandered to Larriland Farms here in Maryland to go berry picking!



 




This place seems to be a heaven for people like myself because you can pick your own blueberries, cherries, red/purple/black raspberries, beets, herbs, and flowers. They also have homemade salad dressings, jams, kale (which I got as well), granola, etc. for sale. Yay! Today, my mom and I decided to pick raspberries and blueberries.





Don't they look great?! Yummy!







So, when looking through my seemingly never-ending recipe book (many of which came from all of you!), I have decided on two:

Thanks so Courtney over at Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life I got her recipe on Cranberry Apple Bread here!

Just in case, here is the recipe:

Cranberry Apple Bread

1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup milk
1 cup frozen or fresh cranberries
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
2 Tbl canola oil
2 cups chopped, peeled tart apples (Macintosh)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, oil, and milk. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in apples, walnuts, and cranberries. {I will try the berries I picked today!} Transfer to an 8x4, 9x5, or mini loaf pan sprayed. Bake at 350 degrees for 60-65 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing. 



Next, thanks to Kelly at Laughter, Strength, and Food I found her recipe for Strawberry Almond Granola Bars here and have actually already made some. Holy cow are they good! They were so easy and they stay moist for so long! I think they were gone in about 2 or 3 days!

Strawberry Almond Granola Bars

1/2 cup reduced fat creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 egg
2 Tbl. canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, beat the peanut butter, maple syrup, egg, oil, and vanilla until blended. Combine the oats, brown sugar, and salt. Add the peanut butter mixture and mix well. Fold in the chips, almonds, and strawberries.




Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars and enjoy!


When talking to her via email, she said, "I make them all the time and they are great because you can throw in anything you have on hand and don't have to follow a recipe!" Those are the best recipes, I think!




All in all, not a bad Sunday! Now it is off to work! Which brings me to my Sunday Funday questions:

Have you ever gone berry picking?? What is your favorite fruit??

I hope you all have a relaxing Sunday night and you are ready to conquer the week on your own two feet...







Until the next step bloggers...





2 comments:

  1. I love going berry picking, I went when I was younger and I totally miss it now! We should hangout since you live so close by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those berries look amazing and so do those recipes! Berries are definitely my favorite fruit - especially in the summer! I've never gone berry picking but I think it would be so much fun! :)

    ReplyDelete