Ok so last week I quickly learned that my work computers are not updated enough to keep up with the new Blogger website. I knew I had to write a new post, however, so I took to a Word document. I ended up writing 3 so bear with me as I try to play catch up...At least I got it done, right?
So recently, I took it upon myself to sign up for a bunch of races to make sure I stick with my goals this year. I am so excited to add to my race list (as well as get some tax write- offs!) and am determined to have them keep me accountable. Some of the races I am going to be running in include a Valentine’s Day race, a race that supports domestic violence, Warrior Dash, a 10K race my high school sponsors, and the Tough Mudder. These are only to name a few. New races come out every week it seems but I will keep you all up-to-date on the races!
So we are now, almost one month into the new year. Have you kept with your resolution/goals? As everyone says, “It takes 21 days to form a habit.” Are you stuck with it now?? Well, whether you are new to the fitness/exercise world or have been knowledgeable for years, everyone could use some fast tips on how to lose that fat! I wanted to share some with all of you so you can drop that last 5 pounds or even a whole dress size! J
· Get creative with your lean proteins! If you can, try lean turkey, venison, or even bison. Put the grilled red meat over a salad for a low-calorie, protein-packed meal!
· Try a milk alternative. Swap out cow’s milk for an unsweetened almond milk in your cereal for a lower calorie/lower sugar substitute.
· Eat breakfast- and make it high-protein! This gives you the fuel to conquer the day . You can also help yourself feel fuller longer and prevent you from getting those cravings around mid-morning!
· Plan a healthy dinner party with some friends! Everyone can bring one of their favorite recipes and bring recipe on an index card for you to add to your own collection!
· Drink water before every meal. This can help you consume fewer calories!
· Snack smart! Load up that huge bag (that every girl has and every girl knows they all become bottomless pits!) with baggies of pre-made almonds, trail mix, string cheese, berries, etc. If you are running late, caught in traffic, or can’t leave your desk, these will help you with the need to stop at a fast-food restaurant!
· Getting a sweet tooth craving? Indulge in nature’s candy- berries! Have a small bowl of them with a tablespoon of whipped cream and dig in!
· Make it a point to have a shake after each workout! (You should indulge in some kind of whey protein once a day!)
· Take your time! If you eat too fast, you are not giving your brain enough time to realize that you are full. This can cause overeating and an increase in caloric intake.
· Heat things up! Try a hot version of Pilates or yoga to get the sweat flowing and the metabolism boosted!
· Replace two long distance running sessions a week with a HIIT running intervals.
· Invest in a pair of great running shoes. You’ll be able to workout harder, longer, and your feet will thank you in the long run (No pun intended)!
· Love to hate burpees. Adding them into your workout (between a set or in a series of plyometric moves) packs that extra “oomph!”
· Run the stairs at a local high school stadium. Too cold? Use the stairs in your gym, house, or apartment. Hellooooo glutes!
· Take shorter rests between sets to keep your heart rate up (you burn more calories!)
· If you hate running (like me) just know that you don’t have to run a marathon to burn fat. Start with 20 minutes and work from there!
· Change things up! Varying the intensity, weights, reps, and sets of your workouts will kick your metabolism into high gear!
· Make time for fitness. Whether that’s at 7am or 7pm, get it in! Make your workouts fit into your schedule!
· Break out of your shell! Try a workout or an exercise you have never done before. (Anyone up for pole dancing??)
· Split your training by doing cardio in the morning and weights in the evening. More energy without feeling like you live at the gym!
· Try CrossFit, a program that incorporates endurance, plyometrics, calisthenics, lifting, and gymnastics.
· Commit to a 5K. Prepare yourself by making short term goals and a training schedule. Ask some friends to join you!
· Give it a rest. Overtraining is stressful on your body and can be dangerous. Make sure to give yourself at least one day off a week.
· If you think you’re working out hard enough, work out harder!
· Get that beauty sleep! Sleeping for 7-8 hours every night is key to weight loss. Getting an extra 30min. of sleep can also help you make smarter choices, food wise.
· Keep a strong support group around you at all times. If you feel weak or not motivated at all, call them and voice your concerns. Their job is to remind you of your goals and encourage you to get the job done!
· Take an adventure vacation! Let’s face it, as much as we would all love to be sitting on a beach drinking a Pina Colada, there are more active ways to enjoy time off! Try hiking through Yellowstone Park or take up skiing/snowboarding!
· Take progress photos! Start with a “before” photo and continue every 4 weeks. Though you may not notice a change at first, photos don’t lie!
· Host a workout clothes/DVD swap with some friends! Leave behind the worn out stuff! One man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
· Keep a food diary. Holding yourself accountable helps you stay consistent with your program and reminds you when you are falling off the wagon.
· Don’t compare yourself with others- especially fitness models. Each one of us is beautiful no matter what our size is- be happy with you and the rest will follow!
· Stay positive! Determination is everything! You can do anything you set your mind to!
So there you have it. Just some tips to help you keep your eye on the prize!
I hope you all are logging in your #jogforjanuary time! Winner gets their own GOSportID and maybe a couple of surprises from me! I am excited to also soon post about another product review/giveaway for Think Thin bars , my Foodie Penpal exchange, and our 3rd monthly #BMOREToned social event :) Stay tuned!
I hope you go out there and accomplish those goals and resolutions...on your own two feet...
Until the next step bloggers...