Monday, March 21, 2011

Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase...

It has been a while since I have posted anything new on here. My stress post pertained very well to me in the last couple of weeks. A new nursing class starts for me this week...Pediatrics. I am not necessarily looking forward to it. I have FAITH though that I can get through it. Still...Is it summertime yet???


Next week I get my official date for surgery. For those of you who don't know, I have a condition known as an accessory navicular bone. Layman's terms? I have an extra bone in both of my feet. So, having 208 bones instead of the usual 206 doesn't make me special...it causes me pain. Severe pain. My left foot/ankle has been a problem for me for a while. My extra bone is becoming detached and surgery is the only option for me now. They will go in, remove the bone, and then reattach my ligaments/tendons to my ankle. It seems like there is no good time to do this surgery as I have a booked schedule until around July or so. Ugh!


I walk around with an "aircast" brace on until my surgery day. If you want to feel something wild, come feel the bone coming out of my foot. Gross! I have FAITH that everything will go well and I will be back walking on my own two feet in no time...


I have had a couple days to do some research so for those of you who like to eat right, work out, or stay in shape...man have I got a gift for you! A wonderful new friend sent me Shakeology and man is it good! It helps you fight cravings, increase your energy, and lose weight! There are a ton of different recipes for each flavor. It is my new obsession! Though I do still have my amazing Amplified Wheybolic protein from GNC for after I work out, Shakeology will usually replace one of your meals a day and believe me, you will have enough!!



Since I had my first relaxing weekend in a long time, I took the time to find some healthy recipes and started to create some masterpieces! Here are a few that were my favorites:

Super Cheesy All American Breakfast Bake (only 159 calories including 24g of p rotein and 1.25g fiber!)

2 cups fresh spinach leaves
1/2 cup fat free liquid egg substitute (<---eat this almost daily!)
1 wedge Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss Cheese (<--- GREAT snack!)
1 slice fat free American cheese
1 slice extra lean turkey bacon (<--- I use regular bacon; it's better for you!)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook bacon according to package instructions. Once cool enough to handle, chop the bacon into small pieces. Bring a sprayed pan to medium heat. Add spinach and cook/stir until wilted. Spray a small round backing dish. Place spinach in the dish. Break cheese wedge into quarters and place on top of the spinach. Cover with bacon pieces. Pour egg substitute over bacon and top with slice of American cheese. Bake for 20-25 minutes until egg substitute is firm and fully cooked. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

*Remember that you should be eating your breakfast within an hour of waking up!*


Coconut Glaze Fruit Salad  (only 122 calories along with only 20mg of sodium, 3.5g fiber and 2.5g protein!! WOW!)

For salad:
2 cups halved strawberries
1 cup blueberries
1 cup red grapes
1 cup chopped peaches
1 large banana, sliced
1 large apple, chopped
Optional: fresh mint leaves

For glaze:
6 oz. fat free vanilla yogurt (<--- I use Chobani Greek yogurt since it is always in my fridge!)
1/4 cup light coconut milk
2 Tbl. Splenda
1/4 tsp coconut extract
1/4 tsp lime juice

In a large bowl, combine all fruit. Set aside. In a mixing bowl, combine all your glaze ingredients until mixed well. Add glaze to fruit bowl. Toss to coat all fruit evenly. Mix mint leaves if desired.

*This is a great summer cookout recipe!*

I am signed up for a bunch of 5K runs between now and June that I am excited about. Most recent will be this Saturday in Columbia. I am also doing on for the Susan G. Komen Foundation to fight breast cancer (for my grandmother and Lynn!) and most importantly one that falls on my birthday. It will be a very emotional 5K for me that day but I am hoping I have people running with me to help carry me through the day. Want to join in on the fun or donate to a worthy cause for a tax write-off?? Comment and I will let you know more details!





Some causes I am running for: American Red Cross blood drive, Susan G. Komen breast cancer, Maryland Veterans (Yay Navy!), Ulman Cancer Fund, Children's Miracle Network, David Pinks Foundation (victims of sexual abuse), Got Your Back Network, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and GBMC's NICU! I have FAITH that I will make myself and all of these wonderful organizations proud!

I hope you take my blog and run with it! Literally! I am always looking for people to join in on 5K or 10K's and I love giving people tips on cooking (and vise versa)! I have journals of quick, easy, and healthy recipes that are up for grabs! So as you start off your week, I wish you confidence and FAITH to take the first step to walking on your own two feet...


Until the next step bloggers...

No comments:

Post a Comment