Monday, March 14, 2011

The only journey is the journey within...

This weekend was packed full of fun and not so fun activities. Do you ever have those weekends when you can't even remember everything you did? Talk about being exhausted...!

After taking one of the hardest tests in my life on Friday followed by class (which is cruel and unusual punishment all in itself), I was mentally fried so I came home, changed and took out my stress at the gym. There is nothing like doing over 2 hours of high intensity cardio and abs to get you fired up and feeling amazing! Now you may say, "Sarah, 2 hours of high intensity cardio?! I don't have the discipline! How do you do it??" It's simple. Circuit cardio training. Make stations for yourself and move from one to the other only spending about 3-5 minutes at each! If you do the same exercises or workout classes every week, you won't see results as fast because your body gets used to those workouts! Here is an example of a workout you could do:

1-3 minutes: Power walk on treadmill at 4.5mph at 6% incline
3-6 minutes: Steady jog at 5.6mph at 3% incline
6-10 minutes: Run at 8.0mph at 2% incline
10-13 minutes: Hop off the treadmill and do 25 jumping jacks, 20 pushups, 30 crunches
13-18 minutes: Rowing machine (Go at least 2500m)
18-22 minutes: Stair climber at a speed of at least 55
22-27 minutes: Eliptical (don't slack off-speed up those legs!)
27-30 minutes: Jump rope (try hopping on one leg then switching or rotating your body from side to side as you jump)
30-35 minutes: Run on the treadmill at 8.0mph at 3% incline
35-38 minutes: Knee tuck jumps
38-43 minutes: Spin bike
43-45 minutes: High knees for 15 feet or so (if you have room)
45- 50 minutes: Run on the treadmill 7.6mph at 2% incline
50-55 minutes: Stair climber at a speed of at least 50
55-60 minutes: Power walk/walk on treadmill at 4.5mph at 3% incline





You can either do it all over again or switch it up or add some of your own exercises you love! You will be amazed at how fast you get through an hour! At the end of my cardio workouts, I usually always end by doing about 750 crunches, different styles of course, that target different ab muscles. Don't be discouraged if you can't do my example...work up to it! It's a marathon, not a sprint! Make sure you are comfortable in doing your own workout- even if that means playing soccer or volleyball with some friends for 15 minutes! Get it in!



Saturday I had my last day of clinicals in Rockville (which turned out to be a pointless day) followed by a much needed hair appointment. I am growing my hair out so just a trim for me! I don't know about you but my hair is SUPER thick and has a tendancy to be very course, especially in the warmer weather. I took the advice of my stylist and got a Keratin shampoo and conditioner. It contains Keratin, wheat, and soy proteins needed to make your hair extra moisturized and looking healthy! Check out their products! I also purchased Morrocan Oil which is put on instead of a leave in conditioner or smoothing creme. Focus it on your ends and it will have your hair looking smooth and shiny! Oil is lighter than creme so your hair doesn't have that residue or "heavy" feeling. I will keep you updated on how they work!



To end out the day, I traveled to Lansdowne to attend a fundraiser for a friend of mine that was killed in 2006. Every year, friends and family of Justin Fisher get together to celebrate his life and help raise money for the always growing weight room named in his honor as well as Salisbury Football (he played his freshman year). I have grown very close with his family and I love the fact that I knew such an amazing person. Justin was tragically killed in 2006 just before his freshman year came to a close but 5 years later (wow...can't believe it's been that long) we still hold him close to our hearts by throwing this every year. The food is always amazing plus there is an open bar, DJ, raffles, silent auction, and memories of Justin everywhere. I look forward to it each year and seeing people that I don't get to often.







My Sunday was simple...a pool table arrived at my house (Yay!) as well as a smoker for the grill (we throw the best summer parties!). I finished it off by working the night shift in the good old High Risk OB unit. Studying for my final occupied most of my night (it's so difficult to stay awake until 7am). Tonight's agenda? Study group, more studying, and hopefully getting at least 5 hours of sleep (if I'm lucky!)



What did you all do this weekend? I hope it was fun and you didn't get caught up with Daylight Savings Time! I hope you go into this week feeling confident, strong, positive, and, of course, walking on YOUR OWN two feet...


Until the next step bloggers...

No comments:

Post a Comment